Sovereign Gold Bond 2020-21 – Series X will be open for subscription from Monday, January 11, 2021 to Friday, January 15, 2021. In this regard, Product Note and Process flow for subscription and issuance of Sovereign Gold Bonds are as follows:
|Tranche||Period of Subscription|
|2020-21 Series IX||Monday, January 11, 2021 to Friday, January 15, 2021.|
- The bonds bear interest at the rate of 2.50 per cent (fixed rate) per annum on the amount of initial investment. Interest will be credited semi-annually to the bank account of the investor and the last interest will be payable on maturity along with the principal.
- The bonds will be available both in demat and paper form.
- The tenor of the bond is for a minimum of 8 years with option to exit in 5th, 6th and 7th years.
- The bonds will carry sovereign guarantee both on the capital invested and the interest.
- The bonds can be used as collateral for loans.
- No STT or Capital Gains Tax (as per Government of India guidelines)
Advantages of Sovereign Gold Bonds
- Superior alternative to holding gold in physical form.
- Risks and costs of storage are eliminated. Investors are assured of the market value of gold at the time of maturity and periodical interest.
- No issues like making charges and purity in the case of gold in jewellery form.
- Held in the books of the RBI or in demat form eliminating risk of loss of scrip etc.