We are pleased to inform you about the Sovereign Gold Bonds 2020-21 Series IX issuance calendar as decided by Government of India, in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India. They are denominated in grams of gold and can be purchased instead of physical gold. Investors can invest in Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2020-21 Series IX during the period from 28th December, 2020 to 1st January 2021 as per the eligibility criteria:
|Tranche||Period of Subscription|
|2020-21 Series IX||28th December, 2020 to 1st January 2021|
- The bonds bear interest at the rate of 2.50 per cent (fixed rate) per annum on the amount of initial investment. Interest will be credited semi-annually to the bank account of the investor and the last interest will be payable on maturity along with the principal.
- The bonds will be available both in demat and paper form.
- The tenor of the bond is for a minimum of 8 years with option to exit in 5th, 6th and 7th years.
- The bonds will carry sovereign guarantee both on the capital invested and the interest.
- The bonds can be used as collateral for loans.
- No STT or Capital Gains Tax (as per Government of India guidelines)
Advantages of Sovereign Gold Bonds
- Superior alternative to holding gold in physical form.
- Risks and costs of storage are eliminated. Investors are assured of the market value of gold at the time of maturity and periodical interest.
- No issues like making charges and purity in the case of gold in jewellery form.
- Held in the books of the RBI or in demat form eliminating risk of loss of scrip etc.